You will be seen by a healthcare professional and it will take about 20 minutes. During the check you will:
- Be asked questions, e.g. your family history and any medication you are currently taking
- Have your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity recorded
- Have your blood pressure, resting heart rate and pulse rhythm checked
- Have a small sample of blood taken from your finger to check your cholesterol levels.
All of the above results will then be used to calculate your risk of developing cardiovascular disease within the next 10 years.
The healthcare professional performing the check will be able to:
- Discuss any suitable lifestyle changes to help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Give information on local health improvement services e.g. smoking cessation, weight management
You are eligible to have a free NHS health check if you are:
- Aged between 40-74 years old
- You live in Somerset or you live outside of Somerset, but are registered with a Somerset GP
- You have not had an NHS health check within the last 5 years
- You have not been diagnosed with or are not taking medication for heart disease, stroke, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, dementia or on a statin
It is important you read through these carefully before booking your Health Check. Unfortunately if you book and appointment and you do no meet the criteria, you will not be eligible to have the health check
If you live in Somerset and/or are registered with a Somerset GP and you meet the eligibility criteria, there are a few options available
If your GP surgery is delivering the health checks themselves, you will be able to contact them to arrange an appointment.
Pharmacy and Community Venues
You may be able to book you Health Check at your registered GP practice, some GP practices will see non registered patients for full details see the locations page.
If your GP practice is not delivering the Health Check it is up to you where you would like to attend. We have Pharmacies and Community venues throughout the county able to deliver these Health Checks provided you met the eligibility criteria.