Are you at risk of developing heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease or certain forms of dementia?
The good news is that these conditions can often be prevented, even if you have a family history of them. An NHS Health Check can help you identify potential risks early and give you personalised advice so you can take action to reduce your chances of developing these health problems.
You can have an NHS Health Check if:
- you are aged between 40 and 74
- you have not been diagnosed with heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, kidney disease, or had a stroke
- you have not had an NHS Health Check in the last 5 years
- you are a resident of Somerset County Council region or have a GP in this area
What is the Free NHS Health Check?
The NHS Health Check programme is a national programme to inform you of your risk of cardiovascular disease. It is a 20 minute check where blood pressure, cholesterol, BMI and lifestyle are assessed by a healthcare professional. Once your results have been processed the health check practitioner will discuss small changes you make for a big impact on your overall health, and sign you up to appropriate lifestyle services where requested.
Cardiovascular and related conditions
If you would like more information about heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease and certain types of dementia, go to the NHS Health Check website.
We will discuss how we can support you to reduce your risk and stay healthy:
- You will receive a printed report of your results which will be explained fully to you
- Personalised advice will be given to you about your results
- You may be referred for another blood test to check for Type 2 Diabetes
- You may be referred for a kidney function test if your blood pressure is very elevated
- GP referral may be made to discuss medication to help you maintain your health
- Local health improvement service details are available
Have your results?
You have now had your health check….would you like to make lifestyle changes? Take advantage of the advice given and act now!
Your results from this check can be changed by making small adjustments to everyday life.
For example, by doing regular physical activity you can improve blood pressure, cholesterol and reduce your chance of type 2 diabetes. Physical activity can also improve your mental wellbeing and help with stress.
Why not make a plan and try out the local health improvement services. For more information click here